Sunday, August 21, 2022

A Humorous Mystery Writer Answers a Few Questions


Some time ago I posted a review of Cindy Sample's latest cozy mystery, Birthdays Are Murder, which is the start of her new series: (You can revisit the review HERE)


Ever since then, I have wanted to interview Cindy to find out more about what inspires her humorous tales. But she is one busy lady, so I had to wait a little. Here are a few questions she answered for me. More than anything, she appears to value having fun as part of her writing process.


Enjoy:


1.    How long have you been writing? And how long have you been writing mysteries?

 

My first mystery was written more than a half century ago and was an immediate literary success—Cindy Parker and the Haunted Mansion received an A+ from my third-grade teacher. That success inspired me to finally start writing my eight-book Laurel McKay Humorous Mystery series.

 

2.    You’ve had great success with your Laurel McKay mysteries. What prompted you to start a new Sierra series?

 

Sierra Sullivan is Laurel’s cousin and was first featured in Dying for a Diamond when she served as the cruise director for Laurel’s honeymoon cruise. It was fun to create a spinoff series in a new location and with a totally new cast of characters. Definitely more work but still fun.

 

3.    Formerly Sierra worked as a cruise director, singing and dancing in productions. In Dying for a Double, Laurel is recruited from movie extra to filling in for the star, who’s gone missing. Have you had acting and singing experience? Or did you rely solely on research.  

 

The experts say to write what you know which is what I did with the Laurel McKay Mysteries. I have zero acting and singing experience and zero talent although I love watching musicals, plays etc. This would be a case of write what you want to learn more about. 

 

4.    Are any of your characters inspired by people you have known?

 

My characters are completely fictional. They walk into my books without any help from me.

 

5.    I know characters can become real for an author, in that you can get attached to some of them. Have any of your characters become “favorites?”

 

Laurel’s co-worker and good friend, Stan Winters, who also has a love of performing, is a crowd favorite. And her grandmother is a true scene stealer.

 

6.     Once you get an idea for a story, about how long does it take for you to write the book?

 

I am a very slow writer and in the past few years have dealt with a myriad of medical issues. I have a very vivid imagination though, so there are plots galore that still need to be turned into new books. If only my fingers could type faster or dictation software could understand what I’m saying.

 

7.    Can you describe your writing process?

 

My writing process is erratic at best. Some weeks I binge write very successfully while other times I’d rather read or watch BritBox (I refer to that as research). Once the first draft is done and the beta readers have shared their comments (which can be all over the place) I begin my revision process. 

 

8.    Do you ever write in other genres?

 

My goal is to entertain readers and put a smile on their face so I’m sticking with writing humorous mystery series.

 

9.    Any advice for young or new writers? 

 

Never give up. Learn everything you can about writing craft. There are wonderful books and workshops, many that specialize in a particular genre. Take your time absorbing all the elements in writing a great book. Join online or local writing groups. Networking can be immensely helpful on your journey.


For those of you who would like to know more about Cindy Sample and her books, you can visit her Amazon Author Page  or her website, where you can also contact her.


How about you, blog readers? When you read, do you read for fun or for other motivations? What kind of book do you like best? If a mystery, what kind of mystery do you like best?

 

 

 

24 comments:

  1. A great interview of a great writer by another great writer! Enjoyed it and love Cindy's plots and characters, they make me feel comforted because they always face challenges...like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice interview, Elizabeth! I love Cindy Sample's books. She is a very funny person and it comes through in her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy reading Cindy Sample. She's an entertaining author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this interview. I am very glad that Cindy is having fun.
    I read for comfort, for education, for escape - and there are books for all of those things. And sometimes the same book fills multiple roles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good afternoon, E. C, I read for pretty much all those reasons, too. I'm glad you liked the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, Karen and "Unknoown", I like the challenges, the humor, and the entertainment in her mysteries, too, even while the plots are gripping and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the interview, Elizabeth. Cindy Sample always knows how to make a reader smile. With all the dark stories being told, it's a pleasure to find an author and a character you can count on to solve the crime and have fun along the way. I'm always looking for more from Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Michele. I love to challenge my characters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Karen. Sometimes I'm funny even when I'm not trying! So many klutzy moments to share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your kind comments. And thank you to Elizabeth for giving me the opportunity to answer her intriguing questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. New "Unknown" I so agree. While I can get into a really GOOD "dark" mystery, it's always such a pleasure to find a read that makes you laugh. Cindy's mysteries do that for me.

    Meanwhile, Thank YOU, Cindy for letting me interview. I enjoy your books so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific interview! My favorite mysteries with humor are Harlan Coban's Myron Bolitar series, They can get dark but there's a lot of wisecracking humor too. I suspect that writing humor successfully isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read and loved Cindy's work for years. One of the best humorous mystery writers around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Vicki, thanks for the recommendation of Harlan Coban's mysteries. I don't think I've read any of his books, but I do like "wise guys" in stories, so I will keep him in mind the next time I book shop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather, I so agree. And humor is hard to do well, which is probably why it's so welcome to find a truly humorous writer like Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely review . I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Cindy Sample. She seems to get into her work even if it takes her a long time to write a story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good afternoon, Elizabeth (and Bleubeard), so true. And I think her approach makes it easy for a reader to get into her work, too. Her books are really fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Heather, and the same compliment to you. I love all of your series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Vicky. I've also enjoyed the Myron Bolitar series. Excellent plots combined with witty dialogue. And you are right. Combining humor with homicide in a tasteful manner can be a tricky line to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Bleubeard and Elizabeth for reading the interview and review. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Boy, that tilte alone is a winner on a few fronts. Yes, birthdays (some of them, anyway) are murder. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun interview. Wishing Cindy much success.
    'Lo, Elizabeth:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Mirka, I had to laugh at your comment. The birthday in this mystery was ghastly in many ways, yet still funny.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sandra, I'm glad you liked the interview. Cindy's books are very popular in the cozy reader crowd, and this new series seems off to a good start. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.