Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Trip Down Memory Lane

 Yesterday we went to Trasulfe, the village where we had our house for 16 years, almost 17. We wanted to meet the new owners of our house, and we enjoyed them so much. They love the house as much as we did, which is exactly the kind of persons we wanted to move into it. 
 
       
 
From the galería window, the scene was ever changing, due to the configuration of the land—all hills and dales. Cloud cover would drift down, then lift, then roll against slopes like ocean waves. You could sit at the window for hours and watch it constantly shift.


 
                                                        
     











Oh, the memories!




 

Many of our neighbors in the village are gone now. (I have written a poetry chapbook about our years spent in the area—on extended trips. We never did live there.) Everytime we go to Galicia, we do take a day to visit the village. So many of our neighbors are gone, and the health of the ones in this photo has become frail. We used to have these three wonderful neighbors over to the house for "meriendas" (snacks) a day or two before returning to Sacramento. In this picture, don't be mislead by the soft-drink bottles. They held home-made wine!


How about you? Do you have a special place that you return to again and again? Have you had home-made wine? Are you mesmerized by ever-changing scenery?

11 comments:

  1. We love to go to Idyllwild, CA, which is a 6,000 m. altitude. We call it "our Place".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home made wine? Have never made it, but maybe I should.

    Two brothers decided to buy a home wine kit. They used lime kool aid, put it in the attic. I don't know what happened to i.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to have lived your life, Elizabeth. Globe trotting, friends all over the world, and well published, too. To answer your questions, NO, NO, and NO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Susan, I just Googled Idyllwild, and it's really beautiful. I can see why you like to go. That is very funny about the Kool Aid in the attic. The wine in the village was pretty good, though. Not commercial quality, but enjoyable with cheese and bread when shared with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Eizabeth & Bleubeard, I appreciated your comment, particularly since, before I was 45, I was not a globe trotter and, in fact, never even wanted to travel. And I didn't get published until I was almost 60! So, you never know.

    The reason I never wanted to travel was because my life was very transient while growing up—we moved and moved and moved (long story). As an adult, I wanted roots. (Visualize that word in capitals with neon lights flashing.) And then we visited my husband's family in India and I was entranced by the discovery that travel is not the same thing as moving.

    Of course, we've moved this time, but only after visiting the area for years, and after living in a house for 21 years, the move was not as daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool that you could visit a house you lived in for 17 years. No, I don't have a house or place I return to like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Natalie. Thanks for coming by. We actually didn't live in this house for 17 years; we spent time in it. We traveled twice a year and for a few weeks each time stayed in it, wishing we could move and live in it. Well, it was not in the cards. But we're glad for the people who bought it. And we are grateful for the time spent there over the years, interacting with our neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how much you enjoyed your time there. It's lovely you can visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I'm relaxed just looking at it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Mark, that was (and is) so much of its appeal. The tranquility of the scenes everywhere. I'm sure people born and raised in these villages take it all for granted, but to us, it's so inspiring. I notice, though, they all have galerias looking out on the view. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.