Monday, March 14, 2022

 

      

   












Hello dear friends. I hope this post finds you well.

We are back in Braga; we returned a week ago Sunday. Once home, we were busy finding out how to send donated goods to the Ukrainians, and two of our friends were able to send us a contact organization and pick-up locations. (Citywide, there are several collection points for hygenic goods, food, and other supplies being taken to Ukraine and border countries. So then we were busy shopping and dropping off things.)  I also was trying to find an icon to show support for the Ukrainians. My friend Isabel in Galicia had put the image with the dove in her profile picture and told me to feel free to use it for my own. And so, I pass this on to you. I also pass on the "frame" (the little flag) to show support, supplied by my friend Carla in Braga: (The sunflower was from my collection of pictures my husband shoots, and then the little flag came from Carla's frame.) 



In Braga, the organization that is collecting is SOS Ucrânia. I know things are going on in other countries as well. It is good to do whatever one can do, no matter how small. Everything will make a difference to someone. And, as the men (and many women) stay to fight, it will give them courage to know loved ones, children, elders, are in safe hands. 


Flowers always lift my spirit, and the gardens along Avenida da Liberdade are so vibrant right now with color! I don't know who plans the gardens in Braga, but they are works of art. Here are some more flowers for you this Monday morning. Hopefully they can replenish your spirit with a similar urge to keep blooming in these troublesome times. Enjoy!


















How about you? Is there an organization in or near your town that can help? 

And, as for flowers, do you have a favorite flower? I have always loved (not necessarily in this order) sunflowers, lilacs, daffodils, tulips, roses, peonies, irises . . . .





 


14 comments:

  1. I wish Lilacs would blossom here. We have to drive up a small mountain to find any, they have snow up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the largest city in my state (KS), which incidentally is the sunflower state, but we have to send our donations to Kansas City, MO. for them to go overseas. They are asking for baby carriages, blankets, diapers, soft toys for babies, and hygiene products, but no clothes or food. So glad to see you are also doing your part.

    Beautiful flowers, especially the tulips. It's too early for ours to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I think lilacs are tempramental. A lilac bush we planted in our Sacramento backyard took about 5 years to bloom! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth (& Bleubeard), it's good to see you are involved, too. Many items on your list and ours are similar. The food they asked for here is canned soups (in cans that can be opened with a tab), powdered milk, and also cardboard plates and cups and plastic spoons. I so admire the Ukranians bravery. I'm so glad countries are taking in refugees. This whole thing is so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved flowers (who doesn't?) but now I do with the ones growing in the ground, whether wild or in yards. I have stopped buying cut flowers years ago.
    I especially love the fragrant ones, whose blessings continue to trail after we pass them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Mirka, that is such a nice description: "fragrant one, whose blessings continue to trail after we pass them. I feel the same way about herbs, too, especially rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers. I don't know of anyone collecting locally, but I did some research and found a group to send money to help in Ukraine. What a horror show. I am sure glad Biden is our president or this would be so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to everything you said, Rosi. Here, the organization I mentioned is now collecting things for the Ukranian refugees that arrived this week and last. The same drop off point, but now they take them to one of the local churches to disperse to the Ukranians here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew. I found you. For whatever reason, I couldn't get to you from your other icons, which I click on for a link. But I'm here now;)
    Good on you for supporting the Ukrainians and yes, everything we do is a help.
    Oh my, the gardens are beautiful there. It seems like just yesterday you were waiting for the flowers to bloom.
    My favorites: whatever is in bloom:)
    YOU take special care. Stay healthy and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, Sandra. (Bom dia here in Portugal.) Actually these flowers have been blooming all winter. Only the tulips opened recently. In a couple of months, they will replant everything with their summer flowers. We've been amazed by the care they lavish on gardens here.

    Thank you for your concern for the Ukrainians. Quite a few have come to Portugal, and a good number are in Braga. Now the agency is collecting things to disperse to the new refugees. I'm so proud of how Portugal has stepped up to help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love Lobelia in purple, lupine and lilacs. None of which I can really grow. Ah well.

    Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Linda, and thanks for stopping by. Yes, I love all of those flowers, too. Then again, I love just about alll flowers. About the only flowers I've successfully grown, though, are calla lilies. They seem to be undaunted, no matter what the conditions. My husband was good with the roses when we had a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful gardens! I love most all flowers but the blooms of the tree peony make me weak in the knees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Vicki, I like most flowers, too. I'm not sure of some flower names: Is the tree peony the same as simply the peony? We used to have peonies along the side fence in our Midtown home, and their scent was just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.