Wednesday, February 23, 2022

THE FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF OUR MOVING TO PORTUGAL

 

I know I haven't posted lately, but time has slipped away for so many reasons: I have been gathering blurbs for my new book, which will come out in April or May (more about that later.) I also polished up my poetry collection about Galicia and sent it to a publisher here in Portugal. I should know soon if they are interested—and I've been gathering blurbs for that. In addition, I've been jotting down ideas for mystery #3, and planning more book reviews for mysteries I've read and enjoyed. 

BUT . . . .

Monday was exactly one year after our arrival in Portugal. It was our first anniversary in our new home. Which felt big to us. On February 21, 2021, we arrived in Porto with two suitcases and a carry on, each. Our immigration attorney picked us up and drove us to Braga—first to our apartment (which was not ready to move into yet, but we dropped off our luggage) and then to a hotel we had reserved online (where we were treated so kindly, I'm still sentimental about that hotel).

So, this Monday evening we celebrated the anniversary by going out to dinner at the Centurium, a restaurant here in Braga that plays an important role in the new mystery, I've been mentioning. The owner has been a wonderful consultant for information about hotel remodels, and in general, he is a warm, generous person, who makes restaurant clients feel welcome and at home, taking time to chat with them. The Centurium is also part of the Hotel Bracara Augusta (thus, my interview with him about hotel remodels.)

Dinner was delicious, and we were joined by a special friend who is also our language teacher. The evening simply flew with great food and great conversation in a mix of Portuguese and English—flowing in both languages from her. A few brave stabs at Portuguese from us. 😋

As for the past year: What a wonderful year it has been. Heartwarming. We were excited to come, of course, and yet there is always a little twinge of trepidation about such a huge move. Well the year has flown by, and already we have a collection of happy times, thanks to the help of friends who made the transition and adjustment easy for us. I don't know what we would have done without them.
So, above is a picture of our "Braga Anniversary."
Meanwhile, we continue to settle in, and have started keeping succulents in pots, as they don't require watering so often. (Our herbs all died during a trip to Galicia.) Once our travel days are over, we will try herbs again. Until then, here is an example of our succulents (all with unpronounceable names). The bottom one is just starting to bloom with tiny yellow flowers.
Sorry it is a bit dark. When the light comes in that window, they practically glow like stained glass.


How about you? Do you keep potted plants? If so, what kind. Do you have special anniversaries besides wedding and birthday? If so, please share what they are.

16 comments:

  1. I just went out and covered my jade plants. It is supposed to get down to 29 degrees overnight! I do love succulents. I'm not good with plants, so just keeping some alive for a while is a victory for me. I'm glad you are enjoying your time there so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Rosie, 29 degrees is pretty rare for Sacramento. I know of two years in our time in Midtown. One killed our avocado tree, and one killed our lemon tree. And the "angel trumpet." (Sad sigh.) I think succulents are more rugged, but it's good you are covering your jade plants. It's amazing how every kind of plant has its own beauty. We have never tried succulents before except for one "hen and chicken" plant that survived on benign neglect, but I'm starting to think so many of them are lovely. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, did you live in Sacramento, too, Elizabeth? I've lived there three different times. Twice as a kid (before and after we lived in the Philippines) and then as an adult.

    I remember one Christmas season when the lows got down to 14 degrees. Killed most of the Eucalyptus along the freeways. Cost the state a ton to replace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your life in Portugal is going well, as is your writing. It'll be nice to see your husband's photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Donna, thanks for stopping by. Sacramento was (and is) a cool city! We loved it. (Although we love Portugal and Spain, too.) I don't think Saacramento ever got down to 14 degrees F while we were there, but it did get below 32 two different years and both times killed trees we loved. (Sniff.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you here, Richard! Yes, we are loving our life in Portugal. Do you have Rajan's photo website? There are a lot of pictures of Galicia on it. And now he is working on California pictures. But eventually there will be Portugal pictures as well. He's still working in black and white. How is your art going? And your writing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! Sounds like you made the right choice in moving last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think of m few potted plants as extension of all who live here, human and feline. I have many more plants growing in the yard, and think of them as neighbors.
    Love your photos and your sharing, as I haven't even thought of travel for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful adventure you are having. Happy One Year Anniversary.
    Also congrats on the upcoming release. If you'd like to post on my blog just give a holler.
    Take special care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your one year anniversary in Braga, Elizabeth. It's wonderful how receptive others have been and helped with the transition.

    Believe it or not, all my succulents died one year when I out them outside too soon. So did ALL my plants. It was a freak snow storm in early May, way past the time we should have been rid of frost, Again, congrats on such a successful move to a new country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Mirka, I love your concept of house plants being basically family and yard plants neighbors. When we had a garden, I used to talk to my outside plants. I'm glad you like the pictures and sharing. Even when we travel, though, we are still so careful: masks, disinfectant, social distancing. Here in Galicia (or Galiza, as Portugal calls it), we notice about half the people outdoors are masked up, even though outside restrictions have been dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, we did, even though during that last minute before stepping into the plane we were a little nervous. But we are glad we did it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandra, what a generous offer! I'd love to post on your blog when the time comes. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Elizabeth (and Bleubeard), I enjoyed your supportive comments. So sorry your plants died. Now that the weather has been shifting, it's hard to know what is seasonal any more. We are having a mild winter in North Portugal compared to what we had been warned. Right now we are in Galicia for a few days (about 3 hours north of Braga) and it really IS cold here. Around 62 most days, but somehow it feels colder. There's usually a breeze with it (a cold one :-( )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here is desert climate, we have many outdoor succulents and they love the weather.Indoor plants, not so much.

    Happy anniversary on your new dwelling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Susan. Thanks for coming by and commenting. I think succulents like cold weather, too. In Portugal the plant stores are full of them right now. (And Iberia is cold at this time of year.)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.