Friday, September 30, 2022

So Here Is What Has Been Happening . . ..



So here is what has been happening that has kept me too busy to post, but not too busy to read and relax from all the hustle and bustle: One big thrill is my book signing coming up. But here is bigger thrill (for us):

Rajan and I are moving back to Portugal. I know this is a surprise, but we find we miss the European lifestyle and the slower pace of life, and we would like to finish our days in Braga. Life here in the states is too intense, too stressful, way too expensive (for us). And, since we aren't downtown anymore, to go anywhere for any reason (grocery shopping, bank, doctor appointments, coffee with friends, eating out, whatever) requires lots of driving. When we were in Braga, we could walk to all of these things. (Luckily, we still have our flat there, as we canceled the sale.) 

True, we worried earlier that in the future one of us may have to have medical procedures that take one to a different city and there might be transportation problems. Well, since we now are in a suburb and not in Midtown or downtown, we are in the same plight here: It's a sweet neighborhood with nice neighbors, AND . . . it's a suburb. Once we can no longer drive, we'll be stranded. Our other worry had been whether we can become fluent in Portuguese: Well, that's on us. We have the time if we take the time, and we had (and will have again) a very good tutor.
One good thing is that we've been able to visit some family and several friends - something we couldn't do when we left California before, because everything was still in lockdown. Now that we have gotten some very important visits in, I think we'll be able to "let go".  I was able to attend some poetry group meetings and I have the book signing coming up on October 8th, but . . . our hearts really are in Portugal. 
We are leaving on November 3rd. I'll be posting before then because a lot of things have been taken care of. Meanwhile, wish me luck for a good book reading/signing on October 8th (2 pm, The Avid Reader on Broaday, 1945 Broadays,  if you are in Sacramento. And if you are not, you can learn more aout the book HERE.)



Question: Have you ever decided to reverse a poor decision? Or did you just stick with it and hope you would soon adjust to it? 

15 comments:

  1. I love that you are following your heart home. Good luck with your reading/signing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for that, E.C. That really is wht we are doing. Although we loved California all these years, somehow in the 15 months we were in Braga, it truly became "home."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow your heart is good advice. And buckle down to the Portuguese lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Vicki. I guess it took these moves to bring it home to us that our hearts really are in Braga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth – well you've made one major decision … it sounds like a sensible one. I've just looked where Braga is … my Ma and I had one trip out there about 25 years ago … visited Amarante and Villa Real … and have lots of memories – can't remember much else now (but I did write a detailed write up about it). It is certainly a beautiful area …

    Yes – I came back from Canada a year earlier than I'd intended … but I at least had a year in Canada – that I'd never have had otherwise.

    I hope you're feeling easier now … 'concrete lemon'!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Hilary, thanks for stopping by. It sounds like you've traveled a bit, so you know how the end result is that your world is always a little bigger than before. A year anywhere can be life-changing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I'm so glad you came by Marmelade Gypsy today. I had checked on you periodically but via Victorian Scribbles and your last post was in June so I thought with the move, you hadn't either had the time (or maybe inclination!) to post again, given your move to the states. Today I discovered that THIS must be your main blog and wow -- headed back! That was short, but I see exactly where you're going and why you feel heading back to Portugal makes such sense for you both at this time. It sounds as though you truly love it and that you can make it work for you. I suspect your neighbors will be happy to help you through learning the language and in time it will come. I recently finished a book called "The Year of Living Danishly" in which a Brit moves to Denmark -- seaside Denmark, so not the city -- for a year, not knowing the language and all. They survived happily. Perhaps your Portugal version is next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Jeanie, so glad you came by. Yes, we really love Portugal, and we were making some headway in Portuguese with a tutor (and have already lined up a new lesson with her when we get back. Plus, you are right about helpful friends and neighbors. People are so pleased when they find out we are trying to learn, that they "coach" us. I've written two books set in Braga, Portugal, but they are mysteries. Your own book sounds interesting. Is it published?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Elizabeth. I was waiting until you got back to San Francisco to interview you. Now I see you are moving back to Braga. Looks like you will finally know where you two want to live the rest of your lives. It certainly makes sense if that is what makes you happy and content. No sense being somewhere you are miserable or fear for the worst.

    Here's hoping the book signing goes well. I'm sure the book will be well received, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Elizabeth (& Bleubeard), thanks for the good wishes. Right now we are still in Sacramento (not San Francisco.) I would love to be interviewed by you. Just send me some questions in a word doc. (I can send you my email.) Meanwhile, I love the latest theme for your art work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get whiplash from your back and forth moves, but as long as you don't, it's all good.
    Best wishes for a calmer time and good life, wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Mirka, I understand your whiplash! :-) I'm certainly ready to drop anchor after all these moves. Right now, though, we're busy getting in our goodbyes. And thank goodness for FB and email, Skype and Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moving to Portugal seems like an excellent choice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave the states right now and I have no doubts you'll master the language. Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, David, and thanks for stopping by. We are very happy we have decided this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.