Saturday, September 3, 2022

A HAPPY COINCIDENCE

 

I subscribe to "Poem-a-Day" at Poets.org and the site sends . . . a poem a day. Some I like and save in a folder, and some I don't and delete. I saved this one. (Check out the site by clicking the link.) 

Naturally I loved today's poem, a sonnet by Luís Vaz de Camões, the famous Portuguese Renaissance poet who figures so prominently in my mystery, Deadly Verse.

I seriously doubt this was the sonnet in my book. The sonnet of my mystery is handwritten, original, and never-before-published. (And therefore worth a lot of money and worth killing for.) But it was exciting to get a poem by Camões in my inbox! Since it is in the public domain, I'll share the English translation here: (No, I did not tranlate it - alas, my Portuguese is not that good. It was translated by an Irishman back in the day,  Viscount Strangford.) The Mondego of the poem is the river of Camões's beloved city of Coimbra. Here is the poem in English:


Sonnet VIII

Mondego! thou, whose waters cold and clear Gird those green banks, where fancy fain would stay, Fondly to muse on that departed day When Hope was kind and Friendship seem’d sincere; —Ere I had purchas’d knowledge with a tear.—Mondego! though I bend my pilgrim way To other shores, where other fountains stray,And other rivers roll their proud career, Still—nor shall time, nor grief, nor stars severe, Nor widening distance e’er prevail in aught To make thee less to this sad bosom dear; And Memory oft, by old Affection taught, Shall lightly speed upon the plumes of thought, To bathe amongst thy waters cold and clear!

And here is a little blurb bio about Camões:

"About this particular sonnet, Strangford writes, 'The earliest and happiest years of [Camões’s] life were passed at Coimbra. The walls of that town were bathed by the river Mondego, to which this beautiful Sonnet is addressed.”'


I can't say Camões is my favorite poet because I have so many, but I will say that after reading about him and reading translations of many of his sonnets, the sonnet is growing on me.


How about you? Do you like poetry? Do you have a favorite poet or poem? A favorite poetry form? And have you had any happy coincidences lately?

10 comments:

  1. A lovely coincidence. The poet I return to time and again is Basho--in translation by Kenneth Rexroth. Mary Oliver is a favorite, as is Naomi Sheehab Nye and Kathryn Stripling Byer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story gets entangled with an outsize source, and thus enriched. This is what I call a layered tangled web to weave...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Vicki, I have read a little of Basho when I was in a Haiku period, and I like Mary Oliver (have saved a lot of her poems in my folder.) I haven't read Naomi Sheehab Nye or Kathryn Stripling Byer. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Mirka, yes, it felt so seredipidous to see Camoes arrive in my inbox! And it's a lovely sonnet. I write quite a bit of poetry, and these days, when I read something like a sonnet, I wonder, "How do they do it? How do they get the rhythm, the cadence, the theme, the rhyming, so right without sounding strained or contrived?" It's truly a wonderful form for those who can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Elizabeth. I'm Barb. I stumbled on your blog through following Mirka.

    I'm so glad I did! Thanks for the links to Poem a Day and to your mystery novel! My WIP also has a link to Portugal and I'm interested in Camoes as a result. (I also write poetry.)

    What serendipity that you got that gift in your email! Have a happy Labour Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Barb, Nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you liked the links. How cool that you write poetry and that your book has a link to Portugal. Coincidences are everywhere. The Spanish say, "The world is a handkerchief." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sandra, yes. It really made me blink to see that poet's name in my email inbox. Hope your Labor Day weekend was full of happy coincidences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cool that you subscribe to a poem a day. I don't read much poetry, but I enjoy it when I read it. Thanks for sharing the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Natalie, I don't read as much poetry as I used to. Subscribing to Poem-a-Day is an easy way to get a poem and read it. As I mentioned, I don't like every poem they send, but some I do and keep.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.