Monday, June 24, 2013

Three weeks and a day in Galicia


Beautiful Galicia
I certainly expected to be posting about this trip long before now: I arrived Sunday, June 9th, and I'll be leaving Galicia exactly a week from today (a day earlier from Trasulfe, as the plane leaves early in the morning, and I have no desire for a trip in the middle of the night to arrive at the Santiago airport in time for the flight).

There's a reason I haven't found time to blog. My husband stayed home on this trip (as I did in April) to take care of our old and ailing dog. Because I'm alone, I was busy opening the house (and this Sunday will be busy closing it). Because I'm alone, all our friends have been inviting me places. Because I'm alone, I was busy shopping and cooking for company. Because I'm alone, I've been the one driving everywhere, and managed to get lost twice, ending up in towns I didn't truly plan to visit at the time.


But, it's all been a grand experience. And, since I am alone, roadside walks take on a special significance. So I thought I'd share with you the wild flowers I've been talking about on Facebook, where I've been sharing short snippets of the trip. (Do come and visit me there:   on my timeline, and also on my author page  )

One day I walked down the winding road to the carretera snapping pictures of all the wildflowers I saw. They are abundant this time of the year (we usually come in spring or fall); some of them are familiar, some of them I've only read about but was able to look up, and some of them are still mystery plants that maybe you can help identify for me. Here they are:
Wild foxglove, and all in
this lovely color. All along
roadsides. 
Small white daisies -- and
a mysterious purple flower
I've never seen. Have you?
Wild broom everywhere;
really a bush more than a
flower, filling the landscape.


I thought these were
dandelions, but a closer
look makes me think not.
Maybe yellow daisies?
Purple thistles -- but so small!


Queen Anne's lace. 


I also have seen lots of yellow buttercups, pink and white primroses, and blue forget-me-nots with tiny yellow centers, but I haven't taken any pictures of them. 

Of course, ferns aren't flowers,
but these are abundant on
roadsides and in fields.
This wild elderberry bush
is growing just a few feet
away from our house. 

But what is this mystery flower?
Maybe the sheep could tell us if they weren't so busy having their mid-day meal:

If YOU know what that flower is, let me know.

Hasta luego.


13 comments:

  1. I don't know what kind of flower that is but I love all your pictures of them. :) It sounds like you are having such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kimberly, thanks for stopping by. Yup, I really am having a great time, although I miss my hubby a lot. But I wouldn't have missed coming for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks like such a beautiful escape :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Optimistic, it's really lovely here. Very tranquil, and time slows down. People live with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those snapshots are amazing Elizabeth. Beautiful landscapes. I bet you enjoyed getting lost then. Busy life. Take care. I hope your lovely dog is doing better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Julia, glad you like the photos. You are right about enjoying the process of getting lost here -- although I wasn't exactly looking closely at the scenery when I was on those winding roads. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures and the post, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Rachna. I enjoyed your post on planning out stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying to get caught up on my reading. Lovely photos of a lovely place, but glad you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Rosi. Unfortunately I arrived home catching cold -- thanks to my seat mate from Dallas. I'm better now, but Rajan has it.

    It's good to be home, though. Catching up on my reading and soon, hopefully, on my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pics! Such lovely countryside. :-) And it sounds like you were a busy girl!

    I don't know what the first flower (the purple one is) that you questioned, but on the mystery flower, judging by flower form. I'd guess it might be in the mallow family. Here, I readily admit that I have no experience with old world flowers. :-)

    Sorry about your cold. Glad you are feeling better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look up mallow and see if it looks like my mystery flower.

    Cold all gone now, and I'm even busier than before, but in a different way -- catching up with a million chores. (Well, it feels like a million!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.