Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Exciting Events While Waiting for Feedback from Beta Readers

I finished this draft of my mystery and sent it off to my beta readers (all excellent critiquers - they catch all my errors; the ones I can't spot anymore because I've read the manuscript too many times.) So we shall see what work remains to be done.

Meanwhile, I'm kicking back and doing some reading - two new Sherlock Holmes pastiches by two of my favorite writers. And I'm enjoying Braga life once more (as opposed to "huddled over my keyboard" life.) Last Sunday was a special day for two reasons: Rajan and I attended a terrific Fado concert, and later that evening I had a Zoom poetry reading with poets back in Sacramento! I posted about it on my Facebook Timeline, and am pasting a copy of the post below: 

"Yesterday I had two wonderful experiences: In the afternoon, Rajan and I went to a Fado concert, 'Fado Solidário,' at Altice Forum, half a mile from our flat. It was fabulous! 7 fadistas, 3 men, 4 women, all with marvelous voices. It was a fundraiser for a school for challenged young people and adults. The students were worked into the program both in the beginning song and during the finale, when they presented roses to the performers. They did a terrific job. Our friend and teacher, Fadista Marisa da Luz had told us about it. Thanks, Marisa! I only took one picture (above) of the two guitarists. I wish I had though to take more, but I was too busy being spell bound.

"The second wonderful experience was that I had a poetry reading via Zoom with poets in Sacramento! How great it was to see familiar faces from the poetry groups I used to attend! The president of the Chaparral group, Rick Costa, organizes readings regularly, but usually they are too late for me to listen in. He posts videos of the readings later (that I can listen to here, since they are usually evening performances in Sacramento). For this reading, he set a special time - 12 noon in CA, 8 pm here - and I read from my book, "Saudade," as well as some additional poems from my WIP, "Dreaming of Galicia." This was my very first poetry reading, and truth to tell, I was nervous about it ahead of time, but then all those friendly faces put me at ease. So this was an experience to savor. Thank you, Rick!"

Meanwhile, for those of you in the Sacramento Area, here is a link you can go to if you are interested in the society. Membership is $20/year and you get invited to their zoom events - with no problems regarding time zones :-) Here is the LINK

Before I leave, here is a picture from the small bridge overlooking the Rio Este (East River), a short walk from our house, where a scene takes place in my new mystery, Deadly Verse.



I hope this finds all visitors to the site safe and well from the virus and doing well with all the precautions that have to be taken. Portugal has a vaccination rate in the high 90%s, and so restrictions have been lifted, although indoors social distancing is still advised, and at events like the concert above, masks are required. But we still wear our masks on the street and I would say about 50% of the population still does, too; at least here in Braga.

Meanwhile, how about your favortite pastimes. Do you enjoy concerts? Do you like poetry? Do you write poetry? And what is your favorite reading genre?


16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad things are moving along and you could take some time for yourself. The river scene you posted is lovely, too. Thanks so much for stopping to visit me at Marmelade Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Jeanie. It really is nice to have some time to pleasure read (as opposed to researching, etc.) I'm indulging myself all this week, because when the critiques come back, I'm sure I'll have new work to do. Glad you liked the river scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finishing a first draft is a grand milestone only writers truly appreciate. So you send to multiple betas at the same time? I have ford that (for me) it's one at a time with some revision following after each that works best. I have an order by which I rely on their feedback, with the beta who is the strongest line editor (i.e. catching typos :)) who comes last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very, very happy for you.
    My favourite occupations are reading and gardening.
    I refuse to be limited to any reading genre or age group, but do love memoirs, diaries and letters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on reaching this stage in your novel. It sounds like a perfect and well-earned break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow, even when you are pleasure reading, I get the feeling you are still doing subconscious research. Still, it's great to spend time doing pleasurable things. It's great to see an area of your town, too, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like life is good:) I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are having a great time in your new home. I am working on your manuscript and hope to have it back to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mirka, thanks for stopping by. Re: Beta readers, yes I submit to all of them at once, and then, as their feedback comes in, I mark-up a printed master copy. Each beta reader gets a different color of ink. I do that because it really highlights problem areas or even areas that are strong: i.e., If all the colors converge on a certain paragraph, line, I pay particular attention. If they agree on a bump, I know I have to address that. If they agree that it's strong, I know I should keep it. And if their views diverge, I know then it's my call, do I want to fix it or do I like it as is? Meanwhile, they are all accomplished readers and writers, and they all zero in on typos and such. But I think your approach has great appeal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. E. C. - Thanks for your support. Before we moved, I used to love gardening, too. I found it so relaxing and restorative. Sadly, one drawback of having a flat is that we have no garden. We used to sit on our back patio and look at our flowering bushes and trees and listen to bird twitter. Alas, no more, although there are other compensations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicki, thanks for your comments. You are such a prolific writer, I know you have that satisfaction often. And you are right about it being a perfect break. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth, you are probably right. As a matter of fact, I have another Imogene/Sherlock mystery cooking, and reading Sherlock Pastiches invariably puts me back in Imogene's Victorian England. I'm glad you liked the pictures. I've taken more, but until now, no time to post them! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandra, thanks for coming by. I'm still thinking of your lovely tribute to your aunt. She seems to have had such a rich personality, and certainly much of it was contagious, as you have the same. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Rosi, I am so looking forward to your feedback. It si always so helpful. I hope your own manuscripts are going well. I'm looking forward to the day they are in book form and I can order them and spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on finishing your draft! So good to see you getting out and enjoying yourself while you wait for feedback too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Kate. I'm enjoying the free time while I have it! I especially like having time to visit blog friends, as that's one activity that went down the drain while I was working on this draft, and I know I'll soon be at the keyboard for what I hope is the final time on this book. (But I do love this book. :-) ) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.