Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tagged!

Before I get to some book reviews and interviews that have been on the back burner, It's "catch up" time for some tagging. In March I was tagged by two cool bloggers, Rachna Chhabria and Linda Jackson with The Lucky 7 Meme tag.  
Here's how tagging works 
(although some of you already know this):


1. Go to page 77 of your current MS, WIP.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy down the next 7 lines, sentences or paragraphs and 
post them as they are written.
4. Tag 7 authors.
5. Let them know.


Soooooo, here are my 7 sentences: (The car in question is a Model-T)


     All at once everything returned to me--Father's struggles to keep the top up; rain pouring down; all of us pushing to free the wheels from the mire.
     A wave of dizziness washed over me, and I leaned against the doorjamb. Something inside me gave way, and tears gushed out, drenching my face. A long moan broke loose from me, hanging in the air before it turned into racking sobs.
     Michael was nowhere to be seen, but I heard the clatter of his steps and the back porch's door bang as if he had flown up the stairs.
     I wiped my eyes and blew my nose. If I went inside now, everyone would see my face.


And now for the next 7 "tagees": 


Rosi Hollenbeck
Richard Hughes
Lydia Kang
Joanna Marple
Alleged Author
Theresa Milstein
Kurt Chambers

I am looking forward to their 7 sentences, as I know you are. Go check them out, as they have good posts to read.


Meanwhile, any feedback you have for my 7 sentences I'll certainly appreciate. 

21 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

oooh! I loved that! This meme has been really fun :)

Linda Jackson said...

I can't believe you packed so much detail and emotion into seven lines. That is amazing. :)

Joanna said...

Ooooo tension, emotion, memories.... love it, Elizabeth, and thank you for the tag. :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Very interesting excerpt. I am intrigued and am eager to read more. The scene has a great tension.

S.P. Bowers said...

Very vivid images and a lot of info packed into such a small snip. Well done.

Out on the prairie said...

An interesting story unfolds, fun to play with.

Theresa Milstein said...

Looks like a a pivotal scene for the protagonist.

I see my name! Thanks for thinking of me.

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Thanks, all; appreciate the nice comments. Hope you are checking out each others' sites as well.

Kenda Turner said...

What I liked are the sensory details! Nice job...

Richard said...

Thank you for the tag.

Alleged Author said...

You really are quite detailed in so little words!

L.G.Smith said...

I've really enjoyed reading these glimpess into everyone's stories. :)

Carol Riggs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol Riggs said...

Congrats on the tag! And fun to read your excerpt. You've caught your character at a very vulnerable moment. You'd probably just use commas rather than semi-colons, though (semis are used to connect independent phrases that can stand on their own). And ha--must be a female character, worrying about her face and how she looks after crying! ;o)

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Carol, thanks for the catch on the punctuation. (Why we need feedback!) Yes, this is a pivotal moment for the protagonist. She isn't worried about how she looks in the sense of vanity, though; she's worried about keeping strong for younger siblings; they've just had a terrible loss.

L. G., yes, I agree. It's nice to get a glimpse of what others are working on.

Alleged and Kenda, thanks for the comments about details. Details are sometimes a challenge, especially since this takes place in a different era.

Richard, you are quite welcome!

Tanya Reimer said...

I found your seven lines very emotional and the detail of the surroundings really added to the punch. It kinda annoys me that this is all I get to see of your world.

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Aw, thanks, Tanya. When I finally finish this rewrite, I'm hoping you will get to see more of it in a hard bound book. :-)

But then, another rewrite may be in order. Sigh.

Old Kitty said...

Hi Elizabeth! Hooorah for being tagged and thank you for this extract! I feel so sorry for the MC - obviously hurting and in such emotional pain and turmoil!!

Take care
x

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Hi, Kitty, yes, she is,and it's not over, either. Do you ever feelguiltyfor putting your characters through hard times? I do.

Jayne said...

Aw I felt sorry for her. Your sentences made me wonder what had happened before, and what will happen next! A Model T, eh? So it's set at the turn of the last century, maybe?

Emailman said...

Awwww! Thank you SO much for the tag, Elizabeth. I'm so sorry I only just saw this haha!!! I know, I'm so slow lol