Thursday, February 18, 2021



We are staying at a B&B until we leave Saturday a.m. (We leave the building at 4:00 a.m. Saturday!) Today is our "goodbye" day, walking around the old neighborhood, because tomorow we have Covid tests and one last Goodwill trip, a meeting with our real estate agent, the sale of our car, and other last minute "stuff."
But I want to put in a plug for Amber House on 22nd Street between M & N. It's really wonderful, and I wish I had time to post pictures. I'll take some to post from Portugal, as downloading and posting them is the time-consuming part.
The B&B is split between two old houses (and we love old buildings), one on each side of the street. The main one was built in 1905, and the one we are in was built in 1895. We are in room 13 (which I've always considered my lucky number), called "the Beethoven Room." (We love Beethoven, but that's just coincidence.) We priced out other hotel rooms, but they all charged extra for breakfast, for parking, for all kinds of add-ons that made them more expensive than a B&B, and Amber House is walking distance to two of our favorite restaurants through the years: Tapa the World and Kasbah Lounge, side by side with shared outdoor "courtyard" dining.
I'll take some pictures of Amber House today and then post them after we get settled in. Inside and out, both buildlings are beautiful and artistically rendered, with an aura of bygone eras. I'll leave this little teaser of a bedside table and our room telephone used to call the office.
Time is flying and still so much to do!

How about you? Do you like old buildings? Classical music? Beethoven? And . . . what is your lucky number? (Do you have one?)

8 comments:

  1. Safe and happy travels - with a wonderful new life to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, old buildings have charm. Good luck with your move, Elizabeth. I hope it all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with all your last-minute chores. The B&B sounds lovely. I hope you and Rajan have an uneventful trip. Despedida!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, folks. We took our Covid tests this a.m. and they came back negative, so we are good to go. This will be my last post until Portugal, but I appreciate staying connected, so I will post again soon and be following your blogs again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see at least one photo from that B&B. I've always heard they have far better prices than regular hotels. So glad your home is ready and waiting for you. I'm also glad you are getting excited for your trip.

    I love that little teaser. It is a great way to show of times soon to be gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Elizabeth, I'm so glad you stopped by and commented. I hope this means your health is back to normal. I'm glad you liked the teaser. I really didn't have time for more pictures. The last few days were a blur.
    We are here, now, in Braga - I still almost can't believe it - and lots to do here, too. I'll post about our departure from Sacramento soon. Meanwhile, take care and stay safe and well. And give Bleubeard my best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun in Sacramento. I've lived there three different time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Donna,

    Actually, we are in Portugal, after nearly 40 years in Sacramento, we took the leap and have retired to Portugal.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.