Monday, July 16, 2018

Braga Romana and Belly Dancing

       

A popular feature at the Braga Romana Festival is the belly dancing.  Last          
year when we went, we only saw one group                             perform. This year there was another group as well, a pair of dancers and two musicians. The first picture to the left is of the group we saw last year, Radiki, led by a cousin of the fadista (fado singer), Marisa da Rocha, we've been privileged to know. They danced to recorded music. The second picture is of the pair of belly dancers and their two musicians. They first danced solo and then danced together. We didn't see them last year, but then, so much was going on, we may have just missed them. Sadly, we didn't get their names. 

You might wonder at a connection between ancient Rome and belly-dancing. Well, it is thought belly-dancing (sometimes called "torso dancing") originated in Egypt, which was part of the Roman Empire, and spread to places like Turkey and Greece, also part of the Empire. So it merits inclusion in this wonderful festival, both historically, and for its beauty as an art form.  

It has an interesting history as depicting childbirth and being instructive for mothers-to-be rather than the rather provocative associations given it in cafes where patrons tuck money into a dancers bra. Here is a YouTube showing the beauty of this form of dance. This particular group is called Raksat Brazil, and they are performing in Dubai.

We were struck by how creative and graceful the performances we saw in Braga were. Enjoy the pictures below — first by Radiki, and then by the paired dancers. Each choreography was so unique, and again, so graceful:










Add caption 
Add caption






























And then the other stage. 
First the lady in blue: 

















Then the lady in red:


















Then the two together:


 Don't you just love the costumes? And the use of the scarves?

Have you ever seen belly dancing? Do you enjoy dance performances? Modern? Ballet? Bollywood or the old Hollywood musicals? Hip Hop? Have you ever taken special dance lessons?

18 comments:

  1. And like all dance it requires incredible muscular control and practise, practise, practise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elephant's Chile, you are so right. It's amazing what control these dancers have over every little muscle. Just remarkable to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos. I took a belly dancing class when I was young and really enjoyed it. It's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pictures! Looks fun:) Believe it or not I belly danced once, and with a sword on my head...no joke:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that the history of belly dancing came from childbirth and mothers-to-be. Though when you think about it, it certainly makes sense. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, I had friends who took belly dancing. The certainly did get a good work out! They enjoyed it a lot, too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, I believe you. Actually, there are male belly dancers, too, although that would seem a departure from the childbirth theme, Lol. But then, belly dancing has gone through several cultures and an evolution, so I suppose when it started being a dance to entertain and wow people, that might be when the male dancers got in with their swords. I hope you had a good time when you danced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra, I was surprised, too. But, the stomach flutters and some other moves and postures really do seem to indicate a connection to childbirth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I've never seen belly dancers in real live, I think it is fascinating. Your pictures prove it. They are lovely. Makes me want to dance with them. Ha, that would be a sight. Thanks for telling us about them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Beverly, I know what you mean about wanting to dance with them. The music, too, is hypnotically beautiful and makes you want to move. If you click on the link I provided at the early part of this post you will get to see belly dancers "close" to real life.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love belly dancing. It's so beautiful, and way harder than it looks. I had no idea they did it in Braga traditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hidden gypsy in all of us is dancing along;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Kate, actually it's not traditional as part of Portuguese dancing. It's popular, but not traditional in Braga. The reason it's part of this Braga Romana festival is because belly-dancing was in several of the regions that were part of the Roman Empire. You are right, though, it's harder than it looks. It sounds as if you have taken lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mirka, I loved your comment. "Hidden gypsy in all of us," yes. And the music actually makes me think of gypsy music.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could belly dance, takes lots of practice and muscle control. My girlfriend took belly dancing lessons and she was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by Cathrina. In the late 60s I had two friends who took belly dancing. I was still paying off a student loan, so couldn't budget for lessons. But they really enjoyed their class. I went to a few performances with them at a Greek restaurant, and once at International House (they viewers, not performers), and that was when I realized what an art form it truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! These photos and stories are great. Brings me right to the excitement with you. Love it. They are so fascinating to watch. And I agree, the costumes are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Tanya. I think my husband's photos really captured their movements so well. They were marvelous to watch. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.