Friday, August 5, 2011

Reader Glut and Writer Excitement



Even though this is Book Review Friday, recent posts were all book reviews while my foot was healing up.  Today I just have to share how good it feels to be up and about again.  That, plus the fact that I read about 16 books in the past 5 weeks and I am experiencing "reader glut".  My well has been filled with what feels like a lake!

The doctor removed the pin yesterday and gave me some truly uncomfortable toe excercises to do three times a day (but they are already taking positive effect!)  Meanwhile, when I rest, my foot still needs to be elevated, but activity is good for it, so I am making a point of walking around the house as often as possible.  And yesterday I had both lunch and dinner on the patio, enjoying close up and personal the garden I had been looking wistfully at out the bedroom window for 5 weeks.  Listening to bird calls and watching butterflies.  Feeling a faint breeze.  Joy!

So, what have I been doing besides reading these past weeks?  I am happy to say that I submitted 5 poems to various online sites, listened to some great writing tutorials, took notes in my notebook for my WIP, Granny's Jig, and bookmarked magazines to submit to, and agents to query. I also started a new book, inspired by Martha Alderson's wonderful tutorials on plot.  Martha Alderson is "The Plot Whisperer", and her approach to plotting is one I like a lot.  I first found her on Jill Corcoran's blog, here, and oh, how I wish I were writing the books Jill Corcoran is looking for, because she gives such great advice on her site.

Today Sir Husband set up my computer and printer on a table in the livingroom so I can sit at the computer and work with my foot propped up on a comfortable padded chair. ("Sir Husband"because I knighted him a few weeks back for taking such good care of me and treating me like royalty.  He's still doing that, too.)  Let me just say it feels great to be hunched over my keyboard instead of balancing my computer on one knee.  So my agenda today includes snail submissions for three children's poems, and some query letters for two of my books.  (Cross fingers, as I send them out into the world.)

Meanwhile, I have to thank all the reading I did for how mentally massaged I feel, how ready to write again. With all that input, it's time for output again, and I'm all revved up.  This is a case where deprivation made the heart grow fonder.


I also want to thank all of you for your comments during this period.  It was so cheering to hear from you, and I've enjoyed making new blog friends as well.

How about you?  Have you ever had "reader's glut" but appreciated it because it left you wanting to write again? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

20 comments:

  1. Yep, that's happened to me. Congrats on getting so much done recently! And glad your foot is healing nicely.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been busy!

    Hope you're all better soon.

    I've been reading a lot these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who was laid up, you accomplished a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on being mobile again! I’m also glad to hear about Granny’s Jig, as I love the setting and mystery of this WIP. Wishing you much good luck with your submissions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear you are up and about. I've never had a reading glut -- there is never enough for me to even feel sated. I always want more time to read. Good luck as you send your written children out into the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia, thanks. I'll be delighted when I can go for loop lo-ong walks again!

    Theresa and Rosi, I'm sure my reading glut will be short-lived. I just need some output time. :-)

    Richard, I thin every now and then it pays to get sick or have some reason you can't go about your usual routine. Because I couldn't be up and about I had the cance to watch tutorials on writing I always mean to watch, and they really got me going!

    Michelle, thanks. Yes, the juices are flowing for Granny's Jig again. I was reading Irish poets this morning and thinking about one of the characters. See? Reader's glut never lasts. I can't stay away from books after all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia, that was simply long walks. Can't think how the "loop" got in there. This again from my iPad.

    Richard, same excuse for misspellings of "think" and "chance". Or maybe l don't do one finger typing well,
    And iPad makes decisions for me. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an editor by trade, so I always feel like I'm in reader's glut! Hope your foot heals quickly. I'm getting over a broken toe, so I can sort of sympathize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I switch-up fiction with non-fic a lot, so I avoid the glut, usually. When it happens, I need to just listen to music for awhile to feed another part of my artistic appetites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes--sometimes I'll have more time than usual, and tackle as many books as I can in the stack I've got to read. :)

    Glad to hear you're up and about again! Hope your foot heals completely soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO happy that your foot is getting better. :) Now get back to work! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your foot is healing so well. Elizabeth, you sure have read a lot of books. Looking forward to your wonderful reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kris, thanks for stopping by. What kind of books do you edit? I'm sure all my blogging friends would like to know. My sympathy re: your broken foot. That doesn't sound fun either.

    Will, yes I find that music is a nice alternative, as well as visual art. It sort of soothes the senses.

    Golden Eagle and Alleged, thanks for the good wishes. It sure feels good to get outside again, and to be back to some of my writing endeavors, although the latter is only a couple of hours at a time, because I still have to keep foot elevated when not active.

    Rachna, glad you like the reviews. It actually was nice to have more time for them, because I can do them from my iPad, and edit the mistakes if I catch them later. For my WIPs, I need more access to notebooks and folders, and all the stuff that ends up on your desk when you're working on something. But . . . little by little . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth, I edit almost everything, from children's PB's to chapter books to adult fiction. I've done adult non-fiction, as well. I do not edit erotic. I work for a small press in Michigan, but I do freelance editing on my own. For those who would like more information, you can contact me at kris at krisyankee dot com! My rates are reasonable! I don't have the information online because my website is geared toward my writing, and not my editing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reader's Glut? Love it!

    Haven't had that problem in ages, unfortunately. I'm way behind on the books I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haven had that feeling in a while, but I do know what it is to take a break from everything and just write for the pleasure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. David, I was so behind in reading, I actually was glad I was having the surgery. :-) But now I'm ready to get to work again. Well, almost ready.

    Joy, yes, exactly. The shear pleasure of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad to hear your foot is healing - yay! And wow, you've accocmplished a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. [url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]ggRUykTCnl[/url] , iGjTs - http://yuxeflk.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will respond to them. However, any comments left by "Anonymous" will be automatically deleted.